Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Courses & Lessons

Where can I find your dates and fees?

You can view and/or download our Course Dates and Prices 2024 here.

What can I expect on my first day?

You will receive a map of Scarborough on arrival. If you are staying in homestay accommodation, your host will show you the quickest way to get to Anglolang. All accommodation is within walking distance of Anglolang .

Anglolang is open from 08.30 to 17.00 Monday to Friday. You should arrive at the school approximately 08.45 and go to Anglolang’s reception where you will be met by a member of staff and given a student folder. The folder will include a registration form (which you should complete on your first day), a new student questionnaire (which you should complete during your first week) and information on learner training.

In the entrance hall there will be a class list board with your name on it, so you will be able to see which English class you are in. English lessons will begin at 09.00 so you should find your classroom before the English lesson starts. In the entrance hall you will also see a staff photo board.

On your first day you will receive an induction, where you will receive a brief tour of Anglolang , including a visit to our study room with self-access resources. You will also be given an Anglolang student card which has the Anglolang emergency telephone number written on it. It is important that you know this number. This number is for emergencies only.

If you would like to have your photo on the student card, please bring a passport sized photo with you. If you have obtained a visa, you will need to have your passport ready to show us.

What is the Common European Framework (CEF)?

The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment, abbreviated as CEFR or CEF, is a guideline used to describe achievements of learners of foreign languages across Europe and, increasingly, in other countries (for example, Colombia and the Philippines).

How will I learn at Anglolang?

To find out more about our methodology please go to Learning at Anglolang

What are the lessons like?

English lessons are based around topics, such as work, travel or current affairs. Topics are chosen in consultation with students as part of the ‘negotiated syllabus’. The topic-based English lessons are taught using interactive whiteboards. Anglolang’s teachers are able to use up-to-date, authentic resources from the Internet, such as YouTube videos as well as digital English language course books.

When you join an Intensive English course at Anglolang, there are lots of opportunities to practise speaking English and improve English fluency. Speaking is improved through discussion, role-play, mini-presentations and pronunciation activities. Teachers also focus on developing English listening, reading and writing skills. Anglolang students are helped to read faster and improve their English vocabulary through authentic texts. Writing for communicative purposes, such as letters, reports and essays, is often practised as homework.

Grammatical structures are introduced and reviewed according to the needs of students when negotiating the syllabus.

English vocabulary is a very important part of all English lessons at Anglolang. Teachers give advice on how to effectively record, learn and activate vocabulary.

How many teachers will I have?

You will have 2 different English teachers if you book morning lessons only and 2 or 3 different teachers if you book afternoon lessons as well.

What will the nationality mix of my class be at Anglolang?

At Anglolang we try to mix nationalities as much as possible to provide an opportunity to meet new friends from other countries. It is highly likely that you will be in a class with at least two different nationalities. The nationality mix, however, will always vary as it usually depends on the time of year that you book a course and the course that you book.

How will you monitor my English progress?

Before arrival you will be asked to complete an English placement test so that we can place you in an English class at the correct level. Your teachers will then monitor your English progress on a daily and weekly basis in an informal way. For example, they may do an end of week English vocabulary test or quiz to check that you have learnt the new words introduced during the week.

If you book a long term course (12 weeks or more), you will have monthly tutorials during which your English progress will be discussed and goals will be set.

If you book an English examination course, you will also have regular mock examinations.

Will I get a certificate when I finish my English course?

On completion of the course you will receive an Anglolang Academy of English certificate of attendance.

How can I continue learning when I leave Anglolang?

You can also continue learning English by making use of the recommended websites we provide in the Student Folder received on your first day at Anglolang.

Is there any possibility that my course could be cancelled by Anglolang?

Some courses may be modified if there are not enough students on the course (for example, examination courses). We reserve the right to offer a reduced number of lessons for all or part of the course.

Go top


Do you organise accommodation for me?

Yes we can organise accommodation for you if you wish. We have more than 25 years of experience in organising accommodation for our students. We can offer choices to suit all preferences and budgets, such as homestay, guest house, hotel or self-catering accommodation. If you prefer, you can organise your own accommodation.

How far will my accommodation be from the school?

Most of our host families are within a maximum of 30 minutes walking distance of the school. Students living in a host family more than 2 kms from the school will receive a free local bus pass.

Do I have to share a room?

Under 18s may share a room but all adult students have a single room unless they ask to share with a friend.

Will I be the only guest in the house?

You may be the only guest, but some homestays can have up to 4 students in their house, depending on whether or not it is high season (July or August).

What food will I eat?

If you are staying in homestay accommodation, you will be provided with breakfast, packed-lunch and dinner every day. Breakfast usually includes cereal, toast, fruit juice, tea or coffee. You can eat your packed-lunch at school during the lunch break which is from 13.00-14.00. In English homes dinner is usually served between 17.30 and 18.30, depending on your host’s routine. If you intend not to be home for dinner, or if you might be late, it is important that you inform your host.

If you are staying at a guest house or hotel accommodation breakfast is included. Breakfast usually includes cereal, toast, fruit juice, tea or coffee. Dinner can be arranged in some guest houses by prior arrangement with the landlady/landlord. Lunch is not included in the price. There is a bakery near the school where you can buy sandwiches, and there are also pubs and cafes nearby serving reasonably priced lunches.

Do all students stay in homestay?

Most students stay in homestay accommodation as it provides an excellent opportunity to practise English with their hosts. However, some prefer more independence and therefore choose guest house, hotel or self-catering accommodation.
We hope that you will be happy with the accommodation we have selected for you. If you need to discuss any aspect of your accommodation, please go to reception and the Accommodation Manager will assist you. If you are staying in homestay accommodation and you decide that you want to leave your accommodation then we normally require one week’s notice, unless there are special circumstances.

Unfortunately we are not able to offer refunds if you are staying in a hotel, bed and breakfast or self-catering accommodation. Refunds are also not offered if you decide to go away for the weekend or short periods of time during the course.

If you have arranged your own accommodation and change address you must inform us. You must also inform us of a change of telephone number and email address.

Go top

Social Life

Are social activities included in the fee?

Social activities are included in the fees for the Summer Vacation Course. For students enrolled on other courses, we offer an optional social programme with some free and some paid-for activities. We try to offer a variety of activities so that there is something of interest for everyone.

Here are just a few of our regular events:

  • cinema evenings at Anglolang’s cinema (Free)
  • reduced price theatre tickets on selected dates at Stephen Joseph Theatre (£10-£26)
  • pub evenings with live music (free)
  • restaurant evenings (£10-£20)
  • Anglolang parties (with optional karaoke) (Free)
  • Jazz club (£5-£8)
  • Weekend excursions (£25-£35)

Our team at reception can provide information and advice on places to visit and can also help you to arrange your own social activities. We also encourage you to join in local community activities, such as charity events, dance classes and sports clubs, etc. This provides an excellent opportunity to practise your English with native speakers.

Go top

Bookings & Payments

How do I book a course?

You can complete an enrolment form here and send it to us or book online.

When we receive your booking, we will send you a letter of acceptance, invoice and placement test.

When do I have to pay for my course?

The course fees must be paid in full 4 weeks before you begin your course. Your booking is only guaranteed once payment has reached our bank account. All weeks are charged as full weeks. There are no reductions in fees for late arrival or early departure.

How can I pay?

You can pay using one of the following methods of payment:

  1. Direct bank transfer to our account
    Please inform your bank that you will pay ALL bank transfer charges in your own country and the UK. Please ensure your name and registration number is on all bank transfer documents.

    Account No: 70120014 Sort Code: 20-75-92
    Account Name: Anglolang Scarborough Limited
    Bank: Barclays Bank plc
    IBAN: GB43 BUKB 2075 9270 1200 14

  2. Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard)
  3. Sterling cheque drawn on a British bank

What happens if I cancel my course?

Cancellation before the course start
This should be made in writing. For cancellations made less than 30 days before the course start, a fee of £500 will be charged. For cancellations made less than 2 weeks before the course start, an all-inclusive fee for 1 week will be charged.

Cancellation after the course start
Once you have started your course no refunds are given. It is not possible to transfer any fees to a third party. We advise you to take out course fee cancellation insurance.

Go top


How can I get to Scarborough?

Leeds Bradford airport
1.5 hours by train (approx.)
Manchester airport
2.5 hours by train (approx.)
Liverpool airport
3.5 hours by train (approx.)
London Heathrow airport
3.5 hours by train (approx.)
London Gatwick or Stansted airports
4.5 hours by train (approx.)

Do you provide airport transfers?
Yes, we can provide a taxi transfer from/to the airport. A taxi can seat 4 people. The cost will depend on which airport. Please ask us for a quote.

Do I need a weekly bus ticket in Scarborough?

No, it is not necessary to buy a bus pass in Scarborough.

Go top


Do I need a visa?

To find out if you need a visa to come to the UK, you should complete a quick online questionnaire here. If you do need a visa, this questionnaire will also tell you which visa you need.

Can you help me to apply for a visa?

When you book a course at Anglolang, we will supply the supporting documentation that you need to apply for your visa.

What happens if my visa is refused?

If your visa application is rejected after payment has been received, we will refund the full amount paid (minus a £150 administration fee) once we have received a copy of the visa refusal letter.

Can I open a bank account?

If you are going to stay in the UK for six months or more, you may open a bank account. You will need a letter from Anglolang, to prove that you are a student. You can get this letter from our staff at reception.

Should I arrange insurance?

Yes, you should arrange insurance as this is not included in your fees.

How do you take care of students under 18 years old?

Anglolang provides advice, procedures and policies to ensure the safety and well-being of under 18s. For more information please refer to Important Information for School Groups and Under 18s and our Safeguarding Policy document.

When is the school closed?

Anglolang is closed on National Holidays (also referred to as Public Holidays and Bank Holidays in the UK). In 2024, the national Holidays are are 29 March, 1 April, 6 May, 27 May
and 26 August 2024. These dates are highlighted on the calendar which can be found on page 2 of our Courses Date and Fees 2024 document.

The school is also closed from Friday 13 December 2024 until Monday 13 January 2025.

Go top
Go top